Thursday, August 24, 2006

Goodbye Bridget Jones panties - hallo frilly nickers?

I've just stumbled upon "Dating Tips for single parents". Supposed to help you back into the scary world of dating - which means no more comforts like tracksuit pants, grey granny nickers and cereal for breakfast AND dinner.
Say hallo to itchy frilly underwear, having to wear make-up day and night and not being able to sleep smack in the middle of the bed.

But I guess every sport has its injuries...

So let's get to the life altering dating tips:

1. You make the rules. Damn straight. I've cleaned too many disgusting poo nappies, wiped luminous green snot and stayed for days without sleep to crap from anybody. According to the Tips, "A single mother can date, seriously or casually. A single mother can be seen out dancing on a Saturday night. A single mother can even have sex!" Amen, I say!

2. Nobody loves a parade. The tips say it's not necessary to introduce your kids to every guy who takes you to a movie. Wait until you're secure in the relationship before you let your kids perceive someone as "Mommy's boyfriend." Good, solid advice, although I have to admit that a screaming kid is a wonderful way to get rid of an annoying date with less-than-honorable intentions.

3. Don't lean too hard too soon. The Tips say: "Resist the temptation to make the new guy a parenting helper right away". At this stage I'm just in it for the sex, I can pick my own kid up from school, thank you!

4. Nothing but the truth. Here, the Tips say that you shouldn't lie and sneak around and try to hide your sexual adventures from your kids. Where are these people from? There's NO need for my little to know what mommy's up to all the time. I'm entitled to My Time too!

5. Have your priorities straight. Keep your hormones in check when making decisions. Maybe it's more important for you to be at the school basketball playoffs than away for the weekend with your beau. Once again - solid advice. But on the other hand:

6. Don't be a martyr. Sometimes a weekend away is more important than a basketball game. This one still needs to be debated...

7. When you're out, be out. Don't talk about your children constantly while on a date. I agree - good wine, good food, adult conversation - for one night be the single, careless sexbomb you used to be.

8. Don't succumb to pressure. Don't turn it into something it's not just because you think it's expected. Do what you feel is right for you at the time.

9. Leave when it's time. Don't stay in it "for the kids". Think about YOU and what's best for you. Change and loss are part of life, things everyone has to deal with. If a particular bond is really strong, perhaps there's a way for that adult and child to maintain a connection.

10. Expect resistance. Your kids will probably not like you spending time with someone else. Acknowledge and accept your kids' feelings. Say, "I love you as much as ever, but sometimes I'm not here when you want me to be. I like to spend time with my friends, just like you do." Don't let your kids control you—or try and force them to like the guy, either.

So with all these wonderful tips there's only one problem....

I still need to find a date!








To read the whole article, click here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home